By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ROME, Ga. – Chris Berchock finished the contest with a hat trick, but the Berry College men’s lacrosse team fell to Sewanee 14-12 in the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Semifinals on Sunday afternoon. Berry will finish the season 12-4 overall.
Berry jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first quarter, but Sewanee was able to pull to within one by the end of the first quarter. Berry was then outscored 3-1 in the second period and would trail by a goal at halftime.
The Vikings again opened the second half strong, scoring three straight goals to regain the lead 8-6. The Tigers would tally just once in the third, giving Berry a two-goal lead heading into the final quarter. Assisted by a pair of man-up goals, Sewanee secured the win in the final period outscoring Berry 7-3.
Sewanee held the advantage in faceoffs (22-30), while Berry was the victim of eight total penalties to just one for the Tigers.
- Berchock: 3 G, 8 SH, 4 SOG, 4 GB
- Wilhelm: 2 G, A, 4 SH, 3 SOG, GB
- Harris: 2 G, 9 SH, 6 SOG, 2 GB
- Gannon: 2 G, 12 SH, 4 SOG, 2 GB
- Henry Burns: 5 G, 2 A, 11 SH, 7 SOG, CT
- Hayden Hunt: 5 G, 2 A, 11 SH, 7 SOG, GB
- Thomas Lynde: 2 G, 3 SH, 2 SOG, GB