ATLANTA — The Berry College men's basketball team saw a 29-25 halftime advantage slip away at the Dorough Field House on Wednesday night, dropping their Southern Athletic Association (SAA) opener to Oglethorpe University 64-55.
The Vikings were able to jump out to a lead as large as 11 points in the second half, but the Stormy Petrels took advantage of 11 Berry turnovers in the final period to close the gap. Timely three-point shooting down the stretch gave Oglethorpe the lead with just over seven minutes to play while 15 second half opportunities at the charity stripe helped them maintain it.
Berry was led offensively by Caleb Johnson who put up 19 points on 5-11 shooting with six rebounds. He also was 7-7 from the free throw line. Quinn Atkinson also scored in double-digits with 13 points on 4-11 shooting and seven rebounds. Coleman Ellingsworth recorded four blocks off the bench, a season-high.
- Caleb Johnson: 19 PTS, 5-for-11 FG, 7-for-7 FT, 6 R
- Quinn Atkinson: 13 PTS, 4-for-11 FG, 5-9 FT, 7 R, 3 AST
- Nick Marder: 6 PTS, 2-for-9 FG, 4 R, 3 STL
- Tom Inungu: 18 PTS, 8-for-11 FG, 6 R
- Chris Lawrence: 15 PTS, 4-for-10 FG, 3 R, 2 AST
- Will Perry: 14 PTS, 5-for-9 FG, 2-for-2 3FG, 7 R
- Berry drops to 2-3 overall and 0-1 in SAA play
- Oglethorpe improved to 4-2 and 1-0 in league play
- Berry will travel to face Piedmont on Dec. 2nd at 2:00 p.m.