MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - Tanner Spalding led all Vikings with a double-double as the home squad fell to visiting Maryville 81-67. His 19 points is a career high for the sophomore.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings jumped out to an eight point lead early in the first half, then proceeded to trade blows with the Scots before heading into the locker room trailing 36-30.
- Berry shot 41.9 percent from the field in the opening period, besting the Scots. Maryville would control the lead due to five first-half three-pointers.
- Entering the second period, Berry narrowed the lead to just two with just over 12 minutes to play.
- The Scots' Calvin Songster would have a solid second half to help edge Berry.
- The Vikings were narrowly edged on the boards overall, but let in second chance points with 13 offensive rebounds.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Tanner Spalding: 19 points, 8-13 FG, 1-1 3FG, 10 REB, 3 STL, 3 BLK
- Caleb Johnson: 14 points, 6-17 FG, 3 REB, 3 STL
- Blake Jones: 9 points, 3-9 FG, 3-4 FT, 3 AST, STL
- Coleman Ellingsworth: 7 points, 2-4 FG, 1-2 3FG, 4 REB
MARYVILLE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Calvin Songster: 21 points, 6-7 FG, 2-3 3FG, 3 REB, 3 STL, BLK
- Chris Watson: 12 points, 6-9 FG, 5 REB, BLK
- Tyler Spicer: 11 poitns, 4-9 FG, 3-8 3FG, 8 REB
- Colt Nokes: 10 points, 5-10 FG, 6 REB, 2 AST, 2 BLK
- Spalding's career high in points is also matched by his first career double-double
- Berry is now set to open conference play on Friday against Sewanee at 8:00 pm in the Cage Center.