JACKSON, Miss. — The Berry College baseball team collected 12 strikeouts as a pitching staff on Friday, improving to 2-1 on the year with a 9-3 victory over Belhaven.
The Vikings allowed just three walks in the outing, led by Ben Coker who went 5.0 innings, allowing a pair of runs and fanning six. Berry also strung together 14 hits, led by Will Deems and Spence Johns who were each 4-for-6.
Berry jumped out to a 4-0 lead by the end of the third inning. Spence Johns drove in Will Deems to open scoring in the first, before the Vikings capitalized on a pair of Belhaven errors in the third to plate three. The Blazers were able to get two back in the bottom of the fifth off a two RBI single to center field, but Berry would put the game out of reach in the sixth. A barrage of hits would eventually plate four, pushing the score to 8-2. Each team scored once more in the ninth, but Berry's lead would prove too large.
Coker earned the win, improving to 1-0 on the year. David Hall took the loss for the Blazers.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Will Deems: 4-for-6, 2 R, RBI
- Spence Johns: 4-for-6, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Casey Whitaker: 1-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBI, BB
- Ben Coker: W (1-0), 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 6 K
BELHAVEN STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Kreg Garner: 2-for-3, 2 R
- Colton Fontana: 1-for-3, 2 RBI
- David Hall: L (1-1), 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 K
- Berry's 12 strikeouts is the most since the Vikings fanned 12 at Oglethorpe on April 3rd, 2016. The mark also ties for fourth most in a single-game since Berry joined NCAA Division III
Berry will face Fontbonne in Jackson, Miss. tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. ET.