By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ATLANTA — Oglethorpe’s Patrick Burnette hit a go-ahead triple in the bottom of the eighth inning, as the Berry College baseball team fell to the Stormy Petrels in a back and forth matchup 12-11 on Friday night.
Oglethorpe scored first, but a six-run fifth inning gave Berry a 9-3 lead going into the bottom of the fifth inning. The Stormy Petrels responded by plating eight runs to regain an 11-9 lead after the home half of the fifth.
Dylan Beasley then singled in the bottom of the sixth inning to bring home two Vikings and tie the game at 11-11, before Burnette’s eighth inning triple ensured the 12-11 victory.
Berry finished the contest with 16 hits to Oglethorpe’s 19, while both teams committed three errors. Will Gibbons took the loss for Berry, pitching in two innings, allowing a single earned run.
With the loss, the Vikings fall to 5-2 overall and 0-1 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Stormy Petrels improves to 7-2 and 1-0.
- Spence Johns: 3-for-5, 2 R, BB
- Jacob Delk: 2-for-4, R, 2 RBIs
- Tyler Calvert: 3-for-4, 3 R, 2 RBIs
- Dylan Beasley: 2-for-5, R, 2 RBIs
- Devin Post: 2-for-5, RBI
- Adrian Celata: 3-for-4, 3 R, 2 BB
- Andrew Mink: 4-for-6, 2 R, RBI
- Matt Motz: 2-for-4, R, 2 RBIs
- Alec Babb: 2-for-5, R, 2 RBIs
- Connor Crooke: 3-for-5, 2 R, RBI
- Patrick Burnette: 2-for-3, R, 4 RBIs
- Alex Featherstone: 2-for-4
The Vikings will take on Oglethorpe in a doubleheader beginning tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. in Atlanta.