MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - In a tale of two games, the Berry College baseball team swept the doubleheader over the Sewanee Tigers with 4-0 and 13-7 finals on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1):
- Trey Rampy got the start on the bump in game one, tossing a complete game shutout to earn his sixth win of the year.
- The Vikings plated one in the bottom of the second to open scoring off the bat of Jacob Delk.
- Berry then added an Austin Haight sacrifice fly in the bottom half of the fifth to push the score to 2-0.
- Devin Skelton would then shoot a two-RBI single to left in the bottom of the seventh to seal the 4-0 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2):
- Game two was far from a pitching duel, as Sewanee scored four runs in the top of the first.
- The Vikings' offense then rattled off 12 runs against three different Sewanee pitchers in the bottom of the first to regain the lead.
- The Tigers would plate a pair in the top of the fourth to shave the lead to six after a Jackson Cooper single and a catcher's interference play.
- Devin Post then sent his third long-ball of the season over the left field wall to give Berry a bit more insurance heading into the sixth.
- Sewanee would plate another in the top of the seventh, but the first inning rout was too much to overcome as Berry closed the game with a 13-7 final.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Austin Haight: 3-for-5, RBI, 2 R
- Devin Skelton: 4-for-8, 4 RBI, R
- Casey Whitaker: 5-for-8, 2 RBI, 3 R
- Slade Dale: 3-for-7, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Kris Patel: 3-for-7, 3 RBI, R
- Trey Rampy: 9.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 5 K, W (6-1)
- Dylan Beasley: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 3 ER, 5 K, W (3-3)
SEWANEE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Derek Hullings: 4-for-7, R
- Trey Akins: 2-for-7, R, BB
- Max Murray: 2-for-7
- Drew Mancuso: 7.0 IP, 11 H, 4 R, 4 ER, K, L (5-2)
- Nick Ewing: 5.0 IP, 3 H, R, ER
- Berry rattled off 11 hits in the bottom of the first in game two, with multiple Vikings going 2-for-2 in the first inning alone.
- The Vikings are now 16-12 and 6-5 in conference play.
- Sewanee fell to 13-14 and 5-5.
- Berry will host the final game of the series against Sewanee tomorrow at noon.