By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - Knocking in a program-record 29 hits and 27 runs, the Berry College baseball team upended Covenant College 27-4 on Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A two-RBI double in the top of the first from Donny Lewis gave Covenant their only lead of the day to open the game.
- Devin Skelton then doubled to bring home Alfred Francis and cut the Scots' lead to 2-1 in the bottom of the first. An RBI ground out by Slade Dale evened the score at two runs apiece before the end of the first inning.
- Berry tacked on an additional five runs in the bottom of the second inning, following RBI hits from Francis, Casey Whitaker, Skelton and Dale.
- A single and a sac fly from the Scots in the top of the third would bring home Covenant's final two runs of the game, moving the score to 7-4.
- Slade Dale then singled up the middle in the bottom of the fourth to bring home both Whitaker and Francis and expand the Vikings' lead to 9-4.
- Berry added nine hits in the seventh and eighth innings combined, to knock in 18 runs, and ensure the Vikings' 27-4 victory.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Whitaker: 3-for-4, 4 R, 2 RBIs, 3B, BB
- Austin Haight: 3-for-4, 2 R, BB
- Dale: 2-for-4, 4 RBIs, 2B
- Francis: 2-for-3, 3 R, 2 RBIs, BB
- Cameron Newman: 2-for-2, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2 2B
- Skelton: 2-for-3, R, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Jason Rose: 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Joey Ruiz: 2-for-2, 3 R, 3 RBIs, HR, BB
- Pierce Nufer: 2-for-3, R, 3 RBIs
- J.T. Eggert: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 K, W (2-2)
COVENANT STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Caleb Bloye: 2-for-4, 2 R, BB, 2B
- Joel Johnson: 2-for-4, R
- Trenton Nobles: 2-for-4, RBI, SB
- Devin Carrato: 2-for-3
- Ross Skipper: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 K
- Alfred Francis picked up his 167th career hit in the win, breaking a DIII-era record for the Vikings previously held by Alex McGill.
- Casey Whitaker tied a program-record with four runs scored.
- Berry also broke the DIII-era single-game hits (29), runs (27) and RBI (24) records.
- J. T. Eggert earned the win on the mound for Berry, tossing two innings while allowing two hits and no runs.
- Thirty different Vikings saw action in the win.
- With the victory, Berry improves to 17-13 overall on the year.
The Vikings will travel to Birmingham, Ala., to take on Birmingham-Southern in a three-game series starting on Saturday, April 8 at 2:00pm.