LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, Ga. – The Berry College baseball team cruised past the Covenant Scots on Tuesday afternoon, led by four Vikings notching multi-hit games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry’s Devin Skelton opened the scoring in the top of the first, shooting a double to left field which scored Alfred Francis.
- Slade Dale then brought Skelton home off a single, putting the Vikings up 2-0 early.
- Berry would the score another pair in the top of the third off Dale's first of two doubles for the day, scoring Skelton and Francis. Berry led 4-0 heading into the fourth.
- In the top of the sixth, Kris Patel sent his second home run of the year over the left field wall for a two-run shot. The Vikings would add anothe run in the frame to go up 7-0.
- Austin Brooks then sent a three run home run of his own to left center in the top of the seventh, plating three.
- Covenant scored their lone run of the game in the bottom of the seventh off the bat of Christian Murray.
- Berry would secure the run-rule victory in the top of the eighth after Dale's second double and Jacob Delk's two-RBI single would give Berry the 14-1 victory.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Alfred Francis: 1-for-3, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Devin Skelton: 1-for-3, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Kris Patel: 1-for-2, 2 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB, HR
- Jacob Delk: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Austin Haight: 1-for-2, 1 R
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-5, 1 R
- Austin Brooks: 2-for-4, 1 R, 3 RBI, HR
- Slade Dale: 3-for-5, 1 R, 5 RBI
- Austin Loper: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 K
- JP Chamblee: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K, W (1-1)
COVENANT STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Joel Johnson: 1-for-4
- Forrest Hunter: 2-for-4, R
- Trenton Nobles: 1-for-2
- John Mitchell: 1-for-1
- Jaret Barr: 1-for-3
- Christian Murray: 1-for-3, 1 RBI
- Grant Kierpa: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 2 K, L (0-3)
- The Vikings are now 14-12 overall
- Brooks' home run was the first of his career.
- Eight Berry pitchers saw the hill in the win, allowing just seven hits and striking out six.
- Berry will return home for a weekend set against Sewanee beginning Saturday at 1:00 p.m.