MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - After taking game one on Friday night, the Vikings split with the Oglethorpe University Stormy Petrels on Saturday to secure the series win.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1):
- Dylan Beasley got the start in game one, holding the Petrels scoreless until the top of the third when Bobby Rezac hit a two-run homer to left field.
- Oglethorpe added another run in the fourth after Jarvis Miller hit a double to left.
- The Vikings answered in the fifth after an Austin Haight sacrifice fly and a big single up the middle from Alfred Francis to tie the game at three apiece.
- The Petrels were able to plate three in the sixth and four in the seventh off four base hits. Oglethorpe led 10-3.
- A two RBI triple to left by Francis put the Vikings within striking distance in the seventh. Kris Patel then brought Francis home with a base hit to bring the score to 10-6.
- The Berry rally fell just short in the bottom of the ninth after Slade Dale and Jacob Delk hit a pair of singles to bring the score to the 10-9 final.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2):
- J.T. Eggert got the nod in the second game, holding the Petrels scoreless until the fourth inning.
- Kris Patel drove home the first Vikings run of the game with a sacrifice fly to right field in the first inning.
- Slade Dale then added another run in the second off a passed ball.
- Oglethorpe was able to plate four in the fourth after a double from Matt Motz, a sacrifice fly from Sam Held and an RBI ground out from Britton Araujo. The Petrels led 4-2.
- The Vikings answered in a big way in the bottom half of the fourth, plating six runs with Dale, Devin Skelton and Francis hitting extra-base hits.
- Berry continued to add runs in the fifth with Dale scoring on an error and Austin Haight shooting a two RBI single up the middle to give Berry an 11-4 advantage.
- Jacob Delk then hit his first long ball of the year, plating three Vikings in the bottom of the sixth to secure the win.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Austin Haight: 2-for-6, 3 RBI, R
- Alfred Francis: 3-for-8, 5 RBI, R, 2 3B
- Kris Patel: 3-for-8, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Slade Dale: 4-for-8, 4 RBI, 4 R
- Jacob Delk: 6-for-8, 4 RBI, 5 R
- Devin Post: 3-for-8, RBI, R
- Michael Greene: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 K, W (1-0)
OGLETHORPE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Jarvis Miller: 4-for-8, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Austin Ferlita: 2-for-8, 5 RBI, 2 R
- Bobby Rezac: 3-for-7, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Kyla Babb: 7.0 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 2 K, W (4-2)
- Alfred Francis hit doubles in each game of the doubleheader for a combined five RBI.
- Berry now sits at 19-17 overall and 8-10 in SAA play.
- Berry will host Piedmont on Tuesday at 6:00 p.m.