BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Berry College baseball team ended the Sewanee Tigers season on Saturday night with a 9-5 win to advance to the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) semifinals against Birmingham-Southern tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. ET.
For the second time in two days, Berry defeated the Tigers in the SAA tournament with timely hitting and few miscues. Berry collected nine hits and nine runs while committing two errors. The Tigers committed four of their own to help Berry secure the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sewanee jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first after a two RBI triple by Trey Akins and a single from Chris McNulty.
- Berry was able to answer in the bottom half of the inning off a pair of errors by the Tigers and a Kris Patel sacrifice fly. Sewanee led 3-2
- The Tigers plated a pair of runs in the third and fourth to take a 5-2 advantage.
- Berry then rattled off six runs off four hits in the bottom of the fifth to take the lead for good. Devin Post hit a two RBI single to right center to score Tyler Calvert and Jacob Delk before Casey Whitaker was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score Devin Post. Patel and Skelton then brought home the final Vikings of the inning to put Berry up 8-5.
- The Vikings would hold Sewanee scoreless for the remainder of the game, but would add an insurance run in the eighth off the bat of Calvert to give Berry the 9-5 win.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Casey Whitaker: 1-for-2, RBI, 2 R
- Devin Skelton: 3-for-4, 2 RBI
- Jacob Delk: 1-for-3, R
- Tyler Calvert: 2-for-3, RBI, R
- Devin Post: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, R
- Ben Coker: 7.0 IP, 13 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 6 K
- Evan Mather: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, K
SEWANEE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Derek Hullings: 2-for-4, 2 R
- Jackson Cooper: 3-for-4, RBI, R
- Trey Akins: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Chris McNulty: 2-for-5, RBI
- Jack Bartlewski: 2-for-4, RBI
- Jackson Cook: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, K
- The Vikings went 4-1 against Sewanee during the season.
- Berry's record now sits at 23-20
- The Vikings will look to take two off Birmingham-Southern tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. ET.